Edinburgh Airport Noise Insulation Scheme
Edinburgh Airport Noise Insulation Scheme provides assistance with free double glazing to your property if you live within the 63dB and greater noise contours (LAeq summertime noise contour mapping) of Edinburgh Airport.
Edinburgh Airport Noise Insulation Scheme provides assistance with free double glazing and loft insulation to your property if you live within a specified area determined by Noise Contour Maping commisioned by Edinburgh Airport on a bi-annual basis (preCovid, this mapping will be updated once our operations return to more normal levels)
Properties within the 63dB and greater noise contours of this mapping (a link to this map is provided below) can apply to the scheme for assistance with installation of the following -
If you presently have single glazed windows installed, or if you already have double glazed window units installed, we would pay 50% of the cost of new double glazed units, providing you have not received help of this manner in the past. Please contact the Environmental Noise Advisor via firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire if your property is within the areas eligible for assistance. If your property is within the area of the map which would entitle this type of insulation assistance we will arrange to visit your property to explain our scheme and how to proceed.
Noise Insulation Scheme
Households without double glazing in the 63dB and greater noise contours of the airport (see map below), who haven't benefited from the scheme before, are entitled to apply for:
- free secondary glazing to fit existing windows; or
- a 50% contribution to standard double glazed PVCu replacement windows; or
- a 50% contribution to high specification double glazed PVCu replacement windows, specially designed to reduce noise levels, or a combination of these options.
- A 50% contribution for replacing glass sealed units (glass only keeping existing window frames)
Properties already fitted with double glazing and do not want it replaced, can arrange for a free home survey to be carried out to identify whether the home's current insulation qualities can be improved. Loft insulation has also been found to help further reduce noise disturbance. For this reason, eligible households could also be entitled to ventilation and loft insulation free of charge as part of the scheme. For further information please email us on Noise@edinburghairport.com or call us on 0800 731 3397 and leave a message on the answering machine providing full address and contact details, and if possible an email address and we will call or email you back .
Noise Insulation Scheme process
- Residents should arrange their own quotes for doubling glazing installers (minimum of 2). This should detail per window and door (external doors only).
- Houses built since 2009 are not eligible for the scheme
- Residents should send the quotes to Edinburgh Airport
- Edinburgh Airport write back to the resident with the confirmed contribution the Airport will pay
- Residents and airport agree how the airport contribution will be billed. A cheque can be posted to the resident after installation. Installers can invoice the airport directly for the airport contribution agreed.
- Residents go ahead and instruct the work to be done and notify the airport of when the new glazing is installed
- Airport visit the property to check that the job has been completed
- Airport pay their contribution